Senior Policy Analyst I
Chicago, IL (Hybrid)
The American Medical Association (AMA) is the nation’s largest professional Association of physicians and a non-profit organization. We are a unifying voice and powerful ally for America’s physicians, the patients they care for, and the promise of a healthier nation. To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
We continuously work to embed equity in our internal practices and are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff across all levels of the organization. We intentionally work to create the right conditions to enable our employees to feel that they can be their authentic selves and fully participate in the life of the enterprise.
We encourage and support professional development for our employees, and we are dedicated to social responsibility. We invite you to learn more about us and we look forward to getting to know you.
We have an opportunity at our corporate offices in Chicago for a Senior Policy Analyst I on our Publishing and Mission Operations team. This position can be hybrid (working from both office and home), with a schedule to be determined by business needs.
As a Senior Policy Analyst I you will provide expertise and support in medical ethics/bioethics. Responsible for researching, building, and recommending ethics policy as embodied in the AMA Code of Medical Ethics, and educational offerings that promote greater understanding of the AMA Code among key audiences, especially medical students, and physicians.
Ethics Policy Development:
-Analyze policy, data and the research literature on key ethics related issues, and assist in the development of corresponding AMA strategies, polices and initiatives
-Prepare well-researched, insightful reports for the Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs that engage key
philosophical, clinical, legislative and regulatory approaches to ethical issues that define ethical physician conduct in interactions with patients, colleagues, and heath care institutions
-Provide substantive and meeting support for the Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs in discharging its responsibility for updating the AMA Code of Medical Ethics
-Staff the Reference Committee on Amendments to Constitution and Bylaws during Annual and Interim meetings of the AMA House of Delegates and provide ethics subject matter expertise to other Reference Committees as appropriate
-Summarize and discuss findings in written (AMA reports, positions papers, and corresponding materials), oral, and digital formats with AMA leadership and other internal and external audiences
-Proactively keep abreast and apprise colleagues of key trends in ethics and health policy
Ethics Education Content Development:
-Engage external audiences, including medical school faculty and medical specialty societies to assess their ethics educational needs
-Develop educational content for the AMA Code of Medical Ethics, including CME activities to address the learning needs of key audiences
-Work with staff in the AMA Education Center and external vendors to facilitate production and implementation of educational offerings
May include other responsibilities as assigned
1. Masters’ level degree in ethics-relevant fields and disciplines required; Ph.D a plus
2. Minimum 3+ years’ experience in ethics, social science, or health care policy analysis in academic, 3. government, corporate or non-profit settings required
3. Ability to conduct literature searches, conduct ethics and science-based assessments to write sound reports on a wide variety of ethics issues
4. Demonstrated ability to perform cross-disciplinary, engage leading edge scholarship in close collaboration and consultation with other stakeholders and synthesize multiple viewpoints into concise, clear, actionable reports
5. Solid track record in developing ethics education content for in-person and online settings
6. Strong project management and communication skills with experience supporting to multi-stakeholder deliberations
7. Demonstrative analytical, evaluative, and critical thinking skills to build solid policy recommendations.
8. Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to interface effectively with people of varying disciplines, backgrounds, and expertise
9. AMA’s safety and policy protocols require proof of full vaccination against COVID19 for employment at AMA (including booster when eligible). Employees may apply for a religious or medical exemption from getting the vaccine.
The American Medical Association is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation in Chicago.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION