Provides leadership, vision, and service to promote ethical competence and moral resilience of the health care workforce at Parkland Health. The incumbent collaborates with the Medical Director of Clinical Ethics and Resiliency to demonstrate exemplary interdisciplinary approaches to ethical issues, to sustain an organizational culture committed to ethical practice and mutual respect among caregivers. Reporting to the Medical Director of Clinical Ethics and Resiliency, this position works cross-functionally with Medical Leadership and Executive Nursing Leadership to design, implement and monitor strategic and systematic approaches to accomplish these goals.
1. Serves as a leader and facilitator in the system’s Ethics Committee.
2. Uses standard facilitated clinical ethics consultation approach to identify and assist in resolving ethical patient care issues. Through innovative and actualized policies and procedures, leads in the implementation of preventive measures to enhance the ethical climate of the institution.
3. Shares responsibility for overnight and weekend calls on a rotating basis.
4. Actively participates in professional organizations and maintains licensure in the appropriate healthcare field. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices. Ensures that assigned Parkland health care workforce members receive opportunities to further their knowledge. Conducts high-quality healthcare independent and collaborative ethics research and scholarship.
5. Consultation in Patient Care:
a. Provides clinical ethics consultation throughout the continuum of care, working collaboratively with healthcare workforce members, patients, and surrogate decision-makers to deliver high-quality and sensitive consultation to patients and their loved ones.
b. Evaluates and improves clinical ethics consultation methods, approaches, and clinical ethics quality improvement.
c. Contributes to system-wide clinical ethics problem-solving as needed.
d. Serves as a liaison and provides ethical guidance to relevant committees and high-priority initiatives as needed.
6. Policy and Education Mission:
a. Develops and provides multidisciplinary ethics education for the health care workforce.
b. Develops, reviews, and revises system policies and guidelines requiring ethical guidance or oversight in clinical care issues.
7. Promoting Growth and Sustainability of the system's Ethics Committee:
a. Organizes and manages Nursing Ethics Grand Rounds.
b. Promotes clinical workforce well-being and retention through the expansion and implementation of programs designed to mitigate moral distress and promote moral agency/resilience, in collaboration with the Medical Director of Resiliency, Medical Leadership, and Executive Nursing Leadership.
c. Develops a Liaison Program for providing ethics consultation. Builds strong relationships with clinical education and learning and development departments to develop curricular material for individuals to receive education and training to sustain the ethics consult service.
d. Collects data, including trends, issues, and outcome data, for ethics consultation and moral distress services. Identifies opportunities and partners with members and leaders of clinical teams/units in performance improvement and/or quality improvement activities related to clinical ethics and moral distress.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status. As part of our commitment to our patients and employees’ wellness, Parkland Health is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segment: Nursing, Registered Nurse, Patient Care, Healthcare Administration, Clinic, Healthcare