Based in Cleveland, Ohio, University Hospitals (UH) offers primary, community-based, and specialty healthcare services for children and adults throughout northern Ohio. On a mission to heal, teach, and discover, University Hospitals’ history dates back to 1866, and it’s now a leading healthcare system that operates 40 health centers and 18 hospitals across its region.
UH’s clinical ethics program is seeking to hire a full-time clinical ethicist to join a team of experienced clinical ethicists who collectively provide clinical ethics consultation services to adult and pediatric populations. The successful candidate will be a key provider of ethics expertise to the University Hospitals Health System. This position will support the work of the ethics committees of UH by receiving and coordinating all requests for ethics consultations, executing consultations, and following up with cases after referral. The clinical ethicist will also be responsible for educating and training the hospital ethics committees, providers, and staff of UH.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide professional support services to UH ethics committees. This role will also participate in the ethics consultation service, and support the educational and research activities the clinical ethics program.
• Develop and coordinate services to the ethics committees across the system.
• Provide on-call service for the Clinical Ethics Consultation Service across the system.
• Develop and provide multidisciplinary Ethics education.
• Participate in research activities of the Ethics Service.
• Assist in creating and implementing clinical ethics initiatives, policies, and processes across the system.
• Other duties as requested by the Director of the Clinical Ethics Service.
• Education- Terminal degree plus formal training in clinical ethics (e.g., Masters’ degree, Clinical Ethics Certificate, etc.).
• Experience & Knowledge- Five years’ experience conducting clinical ethics consultations in a clinical setting, knowledge of hospital services, knowledge of major issues in clinical ethics.
• Skills- Excellent oral and written communication skills, conflict resolution skills and familiarity with major acute care treatment approaches.
Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.