The Alden March Bioethics Institute (AMBI) at Albany Medical College, Albany, New York, invites applications for a full-time, open-rank (tenure-track) faculty position starting in August, 2024. Candidates should have a concentration and specialization in research ethics (broadly construed to include clinical research, basic science research, ethical issues related to AI and technology, data science, etc.) Successful candidates will be expected to engage in conceptual or empirical research focused on research ethics, to teach within the graduate bioethics program, including a research integrity course taught to graduate students in basic sciences, and to contribute to the teaching of the ethics curriculum to medical students, We are particularly interested in a candidate interested in designing an innovative research ethics curriculum that will lead to the establishment of a research ethics concentration for AMBI’s masters in bioethics degree.
AMBI was established in 1993 and is an internationally recognized bioethics research institute based within Albany Medical College. AMBI is a multidisciplinary center and includes faculty with backgrounds in philosophy, medical anthropology, religious ethics, social work, law, medicine, and nursing. AMBI also has collaborative partnerships with a number of colleges in the New York State area, including dual degree programs with Albany Law School and Albany Medical College. In addition to its graduate program in bioethics, AMBI oversees a 4-year ethics curriculum for medical students within Albany Medical College and provides clinical ethics consultation for Albany Medical Center, a 766-bed hospital and northeastern New York’s only academic medical center.
Responsibilities include the following:
• Publishing and collaborating on conceptual or empirical scholarly works;
• Mentoring students and fellows to assist in developing research projects/portfolios;
• Teaching and designing research ethics courses in AMBI’s online graduate bioethics program;
• Teaching in a four-year curriculum in ethics for medical students; and,
• Serving as a member of AMC’s institutional review board and providing research ethics consultation.
• Candidates should have a terminal degree in a bioethics-related field prior to appointment;
• Evidence of excellence in teaching and scholarship, particularly in research ethics.; and,
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Keen interest in creatively contributing to the intellectual life of a vibrant, multidisciplinary bioethics program;
• Demonstrated ability for interdisciplinary research and teaching;
• Experience in curricular development; and,
• Experience with bioethics education for medical students and health care professionals.
• Experience supporting working students, nontraditional students, and students from groups underrepresented in medicine.
• Interest in and experience teaching in online degree programs.
We welcome applicants from a wide range of disciplines including but not limited to philosophy, anthropology, sociology, science & technology studies, history, medicine, nursing, and law. Ability to secure external funding is desirable, but not required. Salary and rank are competitive and will be based on training and experience. The Albany Medical Center offers desirable benefits including generous leave time, health and dental insurance, opportunity to participate in a 403(b) plan, and a pension plan. Albany Medical Center supports a diversified, smoke free environment, and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Review of applications will begin on 11/1/23. Interested individuals may apply by sending electronically a cover letter, curriculum vitae, writing sample, and the names of three references with complete contact information to Ms. Faria Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Nada Gligorov, PhD, Chair, Faculty Search Committee at email@example.com.