The Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a full-time Senior Research Assistant for a non-laboratory research position. The individual hired will be responsible for providing research support on projects examining the ethical, legal and social implications of genomics.
The research assistant will be part of an interdisciplinary team of researchers led by Dr. Amy McGuire. Dr. McGuire’s portfolio currently consists of over 15 projects totaling over $2M in funding, which is primarily funded through NIH. The selected candidate will work closely with faculty, staff, and Center Administration across projects to foster long-term growth and expansion of the Center’s research mission. The ideal candidate will have experience managing research grants and conducting research in a related field.
In addition to supporting the Center’s robust research program, the Senior Research Assistant will have access to professional development and the opportunity to participate in professional and academic development sessions hosted by the Center. Such development opportunities include journal clubs, speaker series, career development information sessions, peer mentorship, and programming on grant writing, academic presentations, and goal planning. The Center promotes an intellectually stimulating and collaborative environment conducive to academic excellence. The Senior Research Assistant will have the ability for hybrid and alternative work arrangements.
The Center cultivates a culture of intentionality, respect, inclusivity, and collaboration. We offer intellectual, social, and professional development opportunities to promote a meaningful work experience. We are reflective and mindful of issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion in both interactions with one another.
For more information about Baylor College of Medicine and the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy, visit our website at www.bcm.edu/ethics.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
• Lead instrument development (surveys/survey experiments, Delphi materials, and interview/focus group guides).
• Develop and execute processes for quantitative data quality control.
• Conduct quantitative analysis and produce interpretations of results (e.g., graphs, charts, summary tables).
• Conduct interviews and/or focus groups and manage qualitative data management and analysis.
• Conduct comprehensive literature searches in the areas of bioethics, social science and health policy literature.
• Lead and assist with publishing research findings as manuscripts in relevant academic journals.
• Contribute to or lead presentations of project findings (e.g., pulling data, drafting slides, developing abstract).
• Prepare and submit materials (protocols, annual reports) to the Institutional Review Board and funding agencies.
• Organize and attend project meetings, including developing agendas and running the meetings.
• Create long- and short-term project plans, including setting targets for milestones and adhering to deadlines.
• Serve as the liaison between the research team and external collaborators, stakeholders, performance sites, and vendors.
• Bachelor’s degree in bioethics, humanities, public health, social sciences, or related field
• Experience Required: Four years of relevant experience
• Education Preferred: Master’s degree in bioethics, humanities, public health, social sciences or related field
• Experience with qualitative and quantitative methodologies and data analysis software programs preferred (e.g., Dedoose, nVivo, SPSS, STATA)
• Strong interest in bioethics, health policy, genomics and/or related issues
• Ability to display a professional, positive attitude with strong interpersonal skills and communication skills required and must be able to work independently and collaboratively to meet deadlines
• Team oriented, collaborative mindset with an interest in creating value in any situation with insightful questions and suggestions
• Detail-oriented, self-motivated, efficient, and strong organizational skills
Demonstrates a high degree of flexibility in accepting work assignments with the ability to effectively prioritize tasks, understand processes, and resolve issues
How to Apply
Those interested in this position should submit a resume and cover letter indicating their desire to be considered.